golden age mysteries golden age mysteries

Go Back   Golden Age Mysteries > Authors > John Dickson Carr > Rate Carr's Books > Sir Henry Merrivale Books

Notices

Old September 28th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Registered User - Promoted

Re: A Graveyard to Let (1949)

Vas ist TTM?
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceKiller View Post
[FONT=Verdana]
Yeah, was thinking about that. But what should we do, stop an interesting conversation, because it doesn't have much to do with A GRAVEYARD TO LET?
Never stop an interesting conversation...

'Sides, if people did that to me, I'd wither up -- and there'd be no Internet for us to perpetually keep in motion! )insert appropriate music here(
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:54 PM

Chandler refused to be reprinted?
Personally, I don't mind ghosts as long as nobody considers their books to be parts of the stories about that character
I hope nobody thinks Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson really participate in "The Italian Secretary" no more than me writing on here
Spoiler
Hamlet s****d cock
means that he really did so.
Old September 28th, 2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I thought it was reasonable in this instance.

The trick I do hate in Christie novels is the ease with which some characters are supposed to be able to disguise themselves as another and go unrecognized.

Thinking of the amount of vocal talent and make-up it would take... or the fact that even if I don't stare at a servant's face for a long time, I can recognize my nephew when I see him...
I don't know about that. I wore a wig once several years ago... and people I'd known for a decade or more walked right past me. When I spoke, they looked around, expecting to see me -- and didn't. I had to make a concerted effort for 'em to realize I was sitting right there.

When I say "people" I mean nearly everyone I knew in a crowd of several hundred. This happened all day indoors, so it wasn't dark either.

So yes, a very small thing can make a lot of difference.
Old September 28th, 2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Chandler refused to be reprinted?
Personally, I don't mind ghosts as long as nobody considers their books to be parts of the stories about that character
I hope nobody thinks Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson really participate in "The Italian Secretary" no more than me writing on here
Spoiler
Hamlet s****d cock
means that he really did so.

No, no. I meant that ghostwriter does not equal not being reprinted. Some books get finished after the author dies -- Allingham, Queen, Chandler -- but that doesn't mean the estates refuse to reprint their books.

Just as some books get reprinted and no one gets [!] to ghostwrite more that are supposedly by that author.

I do mind. People who can't write like someone else oughtn't be writing or "finishing" their books. I realize it's damned hard to write fiction that's good, I do. Writing like someone else is harder.

=glum= Everyone's lucky I'm not in charge. I'd bloody not let people ghostwrite dead authors' novels so incompetently.
Old September 28th, 2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Vas ist TTM?
Sorry, The Three Musketeers. Didn't feel like writing it out, thought it'd be clear with Dumas' other books there.
Old September 28th, 2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASZ View Post
I don't know about that. I wore a wig once several years ago... and people I'd known for a decade or more walked right past me. When I spoke, they looked around, expecting to see me -- and didn't. I had to make a concerted effort for 'em to realize I was sitting right there.

When I say "people" I mean nearly everyone I knew in a crowd of several hundred. This happened all day indoors, so it wasn't dark either.

So yes, a very small thing can make a lot of difference.
They didn't look at your face and talk to you for hours, did they? Then were unable to realize who you were?

I am willing to stipulate I wouldn't recognize you if you walked past me on the street with a wig. I very much doubt that if you were to show up at a party I was hosting, I would think you were my friend Steve, or (in some of the worst Christie examples) that you would be able to impersonate him for many years.

I generally distrust singular anecdotal evidence ("I had a cat, who could drive a car") and that's what a lot of your arguments boil down to.
Old September 28th, 2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I do mind. People who can't write like someone else oughtn't be writing or "finishing" their books.
Why? What's the harm? Or are we talking the kind of ghost-writing, where the book is presented as being, for example, Allingham, but isn't?
Old September 28th, 2011, 01:34 PM

I guess I just found it hard to believe that an adult, living in today's world, would describe as many as 3 of Dumas's books as shaping excellently.

There is a reason the Soviet children loved plodding through pages of palace descriptions to get to the latest bit of flawed historical morality: only by comparison with that world and use of their own imagination could pages and pages of nothing-happening 3 Musketeers seem exciting.

You are reading an abridged version, aren't you?