golden age mysteries golden age mysteries

Go Back   Golden Age Mysteries > Authors > Ellery Queen

Notices

Old February 27th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Registered User - Promoted

New Ellery Queen Story!

This is just a "heads up" to let everyone who frequents the Ellery Queen section of this board know that "The Book Case," a brand new Ellery Queen pastiche novella appears in the May edition of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, which should be on the newstands sometime in March (it has already been mailed to subscribers). The pastiche was written by two of us who are regular contributors on this board -- Dale Andrews and Kurt Sercu!

Dale is Deputy Assistant General Counsel for Litigation at the United States Department of Transportation in Washington, D.C. Kurt who is the webmaster of the website "Ellery Queen, a Website on Deduction," and who has been a moderator on this board, is head nurse in a casualty ward in Sijsele, Belgium. (An earlier pastiche by Dale can be found on this Board under the "And on the Eighth Day" thread.)

We are both long-time Ellery Queen fans who first met on-line through Kurt's
website. While we exchanged emails for years, we met in person for the first time when together we attended the EQMM Ellery Queen Centenary Symposium in April of 2005 in New York City.

We have long lamented the current absence of both old and new Ellery Queen works as evidenced by the editorial we jointly wrote following the symposium, which is available on Kurt's website.

But rather than just complaining, we decided to do something about this problem.

The outline for "The Book Case," which appears in full in the May issue of EQMM was devised by us on a train as we traveled back from New York City to Washington, D.C. in April 2005 following the Ellery Queen symposium.
Thereafter the actual draft of the story was developed over the course of many electronic trips back and forth across the Atlantic (or "the Pond") as we like to refer to it.

Just as the original Queen stories were a collaboration by Dannay and Lee (often separated by a continent), so too this new Ellery Queen story is a collaboration by us, separated this time by the Pond. Janet Hutchings, editor of EQMM graciously and enthusiastically agreed to edit and publish this work, the longest "First Story Department" entry ever published by EQMM, and the estates of Frederic Dannay and Manfred B. Lee have approved the
story's publication.

So, did you ever wonder what Ellery would be like today, at age 100 and called back for one last case? Have you wondered what exactly happened to Djuna? How about Nikki Porter? Have you wondered how Ellery might view the relevance of old-fashioned deduction in this century of forensic science? Are you interested in a few other surprises and meeting some other old friends along the way?

If so, you will not want to miss the May issue of EQMM.
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:21 AM

Thumbs up Re: New Ellery Queen Story!

Congratulations to Kurt & Dale! And thanks for bringing EQ back to life, a task that certainly is long overdue.

Does anyone knwo where one can buy the EQMM-issue (on the internet)? I dont' wish to subscribe a whole year of EQMM (which I did 2005) for just one story.

This may be a little premature, but why "called back for one last case"? Why not a novel next time? ;-) There's always a possibility to stage a story sometime in the past (Well, just a thought...)
Old March 1st, 2007, 04:43 AM

Re: New Ellery Queen Story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan Andersson
Does anyone knwo where one can buy the EQMM-issue (on the internet)? I dont' wish to subscribe a whole year of EQMM (which I did 2005) for just one story.
I don't know where--if anywhere--you can order a single hard print issue, but Fictionwise (http://www.fictionwise.com/home.html) offers it in e-book formats.
Old March 1st, 2007, 09:23 AM

EQMM is available in the States at Barnes and Noble and Borders bookstores. I must confess that I am not certain where it is available in Europe. The suggestion of purchasing the online volume should work anywhere.

I would love to work on a sequel to this story -- working on "The Book Case" has been about the most fun I have had over the past year. Kurt and I have batted around an outline for a novel, but unfortunately the Dannay and Lee heirs are not wild about the idea of licensing a full-length work.

I would be very interested in any comments from the EQ fans out there after they have actually read the story. We tried to structure it so that it is read-able by non-EQ fans but for those steeped in the Queen works there are lots of inside (and we hope clever) references.

Our main hope is that you all enjoy this pastiche and tribute to a classic detective.
Old March 1st, 2007, 10:14 AM

Well we're both excited at seeing some commotion... although we'll need a lot more to get Ellery back in his rightful place...

It is possible to get a single issue through EQMM itself...
The page at EQMM isn't that obvious: visit http://www.themysteryplace.com/custsvc/ordering.shtml and see the instructions how to order a back issue...
Try it!
Old May 7th, 2007, 12:30 PM

I have that issue but haven't read it yet. I'm looking forward to it though!
Old August 14th, 2007, 03:46 AM

I finally got hold of a copy and have read it!

I think it holds out quite well, compared to other Queen short stories. Of course the story is a little "introvert" (in the meaning that the "dying clue" points back to Ellery's own published works) and probably therefor appeals more to one who already is a fan than one who isn't.

My only objection (if there is one and I've understood everything I've read correctly) would be that you have to have some medical knowledge to interpret one of the clues (which I certainly didn't have). Well, maybe if this would have been a novel instead it could have been explained more "fair" to the reader.

I'm really looking forward to your next attempt, whatever format it will be, short story or novel. I would suggest to place it in yesteryear, 1950-60s so there could be room for Inspector Queen also.
Old August 15th, 2007, 11:37 AM

Hakan --

Glad you liked the story! A prequel has, indeed, been written. It remains to be seen whether it can be sold!

-- Dale
Old June 30th, 2008, 01:01 AM

Smile Re: New Ellery Queen Story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Andrews
Hakan --

A prequel has, indeed, been written. It remains to be seen whether it can be sold!

-- Dale
Hello Dale, has there been any development on this? Can you tell us anything about future plans for your EQ writings? (I appreciate if you can't talk about it at this stage)
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:05 PM

Hakan --

How kind of you to ask! And timely, too. A prequel to The Book Case has been accepted by Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine for publication. I do not know what issue it will be in, but I will post the information here when I get it.

The prequel is entitled "The Mad Hatter's Riddle." It is set in 1975. Ellery is called to Hollywood to serve as an advisor on the NBC Ellery Queen series for the filming of "The Mad Tea Party" episode, which fans will remember was the only episode in the series based on an authentic Ellery Queen story.

While I authored this one on my own, our omni-present web master Mr. Sercu reviewed the manuscript and offered suggestions that I gratefully (nay, greedily) took.

For those interested in The Book Case, it has had quite a run. The story won second place in the EQMM Readers' poll for 2007. Kurt couldn't make it for the award ceremony, but I was up in New York and accepted the award on the day of the Edgars, which my wife and I then attended as guests of EQMM. Most recently the story is one of seven nominated for the annual Barry Award for best short story of the year, to be awarded at the Bouchercon convention in Baltimore in October.

-- Dale

Last edited by Dale Andrews; July 3rd, 2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:26 PM

Thumbs up Re: New Ellery Queen Story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Andrews
The sequel is entitled "The Mad Hatter's Riddle." It is set in 1975. Ellery is called to Hollywood to serve as an advisor on the NBC Ellery Queen series for the filming of "The Mad Tea Party" episode, which fans will remember was the only episode in the series based on an authentic Ellery Queen story.

-- Dale
Great news, Dale!

I will update the Swedish wikipedia Ellery Queen article about this shortly!

I'm also glad that the estate presumably has an open mind about letting the adventures of EQ go on after all these years.
Old April 1st, 2009, 05:13 AM

It looks like "The Mad Hatter's Riddle" will likely be published in the September/October edition of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine. This is a prequel to the Ellery Queen pastiche "The Book Case," which appeared in the May 2007 edition of the magazine.

As noted in the thread above, in the story Ellery is called to Hollywood in 1975 to serve as a consultant on the filming of "The Mad Tea Party" episode of the NBC Ellery Queen mystery series. That episode, as fans will recall, was the only one actually based on a Queen story. Unfortunately (no surprise!) things go very wrong on the set . . . .

The September/October EQMM should hit the bookstands in early to mid-June. If there are any changes in the publication date I'll post the information here.

Hope you enjoy it!

Dale
Old April 1st, 2009, 10:37 PM

Sounds exciting! Does anyone know where one can order a single advance number (not pdf) of EQMM? I think the publishers only sell subscribtions?
Old April 2nd, 2009, 05:01 AM

The EQMM website is a little obscure at times -- what would you expect? -- but the following link indicates that BACK issues can be ordered on a single-issue basis, so one would expect that the same could be said for FUTURE issues:

http://www.themysteryplace.com/custsvc/ordering.aspx

Also note that FictionWise publishes an e-copy of each EQMM magazine. I realize that these are "pdf" versions, but here is the clickable address:

http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook83469.htm?cache

Thanks for the continuing interest, Hakan. Again, I'll post a confirmation that the story is actually IN the September/October issue as soon as I hear one way or the other.

Also, while EQMM is (saddly) not as available as it used to be when I was a kid, large bookstores, at lest in the U.S., do stock copies. I've found the magazine in Borders and Barnes and Noble, for example, although (saddly, again) they don't usually stock all that many copies.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 02:37 PM

I had no trouble getting the EQMM iissue with your first story at Barnes and Noble. I enjoyed it immensely and look forward to the next (in the series?) with bated breath. Thanks for keep the flame alive.