golden age mysteries golden age mysteries

Go Back   Golden Age Mysteries > Authors > John Dickson Carr > Rate Carr's Books > Sir Henry Merrivale Books

Notices

Old October 16th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Registered User - Promoted

Re: Night at the Mocking Widow (1950)

Just finished this and I think the book is what I can describe as very easy-going and fun.
While thoroughly enjoyable as a read, I enjoyed both the humor and the psychology, I found some of the aspects of the mystery to be very underwhelming:

1. The essential locked room mystery involves no murder, or harm done, just a slight scare. I saw little evidence there was definitely somebody in the locked room, it could all easily be explained as nerves on the part of a couple of scared people.
2. The villain's motivation is underwhelming and underexplained. Even the clues are not convincing, and subject to interpretation. I thought the identity was a good one, but it kind of unraveled from there.

Nonetheless, a very enjoyable read for me. And this is a book where Carr managed to create quite a few characters, more than usual, and most of them not stock.