golden age mysteries golden age mysteries

Go Back   Golden Age Mysteries > Authors > Ngaio Marsh

Notices

Old August 1st, 2007, 07:54 AM
Registered User - Promoted

Post The Alleyn Mysteries

I did not realize that a series was made based on some of her books. Is this series a worthwhile adaptation?
Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:44 AM

Re: The Alleyn Mysteries

It's very good. Patrick Malahide is not everybody's Alleyn, but I liked him. He never sends the part up, but there is a lovely quirk that he gives the character. Whenever he sees something viscerally unpleasant, he always manages to look as though he might be about to be sick. So many TV tecs have cast iron stomachs, that this is rather a charming weakness. The other leads are also well cast. This was made at the same time that the Beeb were making things like Campion, and the production values are of the same scale.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the information. I will try to catch it sometime in the next few months. Why did some people disapprove of Malahide though?
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:32 AM

The pilot for the show had Simon Williams as Alleyn. Some of the people that I talked to liked him better in the role. He is much more of a charming, handsome leading man than Malahide. Unfortunately he gave a rather dull performance.
Although Malahide is a serious actor, he has given some rather broad comedy performances on different series, and I think that some people still tend to think of him as a 'comedy actor'. Malahide is also less of a matinee idol type than Williams. He isn't ugly, but he is less of 'handsome leading man' type. The show has recently turned up on region 2 DVD. Oh dear, another thing to buy........
Old December 9th, 2007, 12:44 AM

There's also a New Zealand made series from the late seventies, early 'eighties (I think) which starred George Baker. I never caught an episode but it used to pop up on British tv quite regularly as a cheap schedule filler.