PDA

View Full Version : [GAdetection] Re: Lots of comments

Jeffrmarks@aol.com
June 29th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Doug, I'm thrilled to hear about the EQ radio plays. I just finished Mike Nevins' book on the radio plays, and it was fascinating. Are the scripts going to only be the Dannay / Lee ones or will Everitt and Boucher make appearances too? You and C&L continue to be the best argument I know of for cloning. There needs to be more of you to get out all of these wonderful books!

Also for those who are interested in 1930s pulp writers (I was so sorry to hear about Cave's death) I just picked up a copy of Jack Williamson's autobiography. I'll be sure to post a review when I'm finished with it.

Well, according to the Ritzner definition, I'm a hack of the highest variety. I also write technology articles and scientific research papers (yes, all for money) in addition to mystery related works.

Though I might be accused of being a Von Jung in this case,, I really think that Margaret Millar was a better writer than her husband, Ross Macdonald. Her works are original, they rarely recycle plot devices, and are stunning in their solutions.

Jeff

Jeffrey Marks
www.jeffreymarks.com
Criminal Appetites, June 2004

Xavier Lechard
June 29th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Jeffrey Marks wrote:

>Though I might be accused of being a Von Jung in this case,, I really think that Margaret >Millar was a better writer than her husband, Ross Macdonald. Her works are original, they >rarely recycle plot devices, and are stunning in their solutions.

Also, her plots, though complex and dazzling, are much easier to follow than her husband's. It really takes Lew Archer being a supermind to solve some of the cases MacDonald leaves to him, and solutions are often even more complicated than the puzzles themselves.

Friendly,
Xavier

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]