PDA

View Full Version : Short essay by yours truly

Barry Ergang
July 6th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Just published at the e-zine Mysterical-E:

http://www.mysterical.bizland.com/IMPOSSIBLEPLEASURES.html

Dave
July 7th, 2004, 05:30 AM
A fun read Barry. I have yet to move on to the Hardboiled novels you mention, though I do have a few in my "to be read pile", which has become more a bookcase than a pile.

One question: In The Man Who Could Not Shudder, a gun floats off a wall, aims and kills in the presence of witnesses. Is it fair to say that the gun "aims", or maybe your saying it has the appearance of aiming? I only ask because it relates directly to the solution of the puzzle.

Xavier Lechard
July 7th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Barry's done it again! Excellent article.

Barry Ergang
July 7th, 2004, 08:06 AM
A fun read Barry. I have yet to move on to the Hardboiled novels you mention, though I do have a few in my "to be read pile", which has become more a bookcase than a pile.

One question: Is it fair to say that the gun "aims", or maybe your saying it has the appearance of aiming? I only ask because it relates directly to the solution of the puzzle.

Thanks, Dave and Xavier.

As for your question, Dave, in all honesty I can't say. I wrote that piece several years ago, aiming it at the "generalist" audience of a small-press litmag that published some poetry, articles and fiction of mine, but I received neither an acceptance nor rejection on it. Thus, I started sending it elsewhere, getting an acceptance from Mysterical-E. It's been years since I read The Man Who Could Not Shudder and don't remember any details. I used it and the premises I remembered from other Carr titles as "teasers" for potential readers.